- Choose a small, shallow container, preferably one that fits in the corner of your rat’s enclosure. Be sure to pick something that doesn’t tip easily.
- Pick a quality litter that is paper-based. Avoid clumping style litters that are often used for cat boxes, as there is the risk of it becoming stuck to your rat or becoming a hazard if your rat ingests it. Your Animal Hospital in Welland Ontario can recommend a good brand to start with.
- If possible, place the litterbox in an area of the cage that your rat has naturally been using as its bathroom. This will make it much easier to transition to using the litterbox.
- Place a small amount of bedding that has been soaked with urine or contains feces into the litterbox to help your rat understand that this is where he or she should be eliminating.
- If you notice your rat using the litterbox, offer a treat as a reward to reinforce the behavior. Your Animal Hospital in Welland Ontario can suggest types of treats that work well for training rats.
- When you’re first training your rat, it’s a good idea to always leave a little bit of waste in the litterbox until your pet understands that this is his or her new bathroom. Once they’ve caught on, change the litter every couple of days to keep it clean and reduce odors.
- Keep a litterbox for outside the cage. Rats need ample time to explore and play outside of their enclosures, so it may be a good idea to also keep a litterbox outside the cage. This reinforces that the box is the bathroom, regardless of where your pet happens to be.
- Be patient. Just like training any other type of animal, training a rat takes time and patience. Keep at it and offer positive encouragement along the way, and your rat should catch on eventually.
In addition to these, your Animal Hospital in Welland Ontario may also have some specific tips and suggestions based on your particular pet. Discuss the situation with them and take it from there. Before you know it, you’ll have a well-behaved, litter trained rat.
At the Main West Animal Hospital, we have been committed to caring for pets for over 35 years. We understand the incredible bond that develops between people and their pets because we are pet lovers too. At our hospital we take pride in making a difference in the lives of pets and creating lasting friendships with our clients. We believe that pets are an important part of our family and our community. We come to work each and every day dedicated to consistently providing compassionate care to improve the lives of pets and their families.
Our highly trained veterinarians and friendly staff create a warm welcoming environment for you and your pet. Our full service Veterinary hospital uses the latest equipment and technology to ensure we can provide the best care for your pet. We are dedicated to taking a holistic approach to Veterinary medicine, treating the whole patient and not just the symptoms.
Our hospital provides preventative health care and vaccinations options for pets. We also offer animal chiropractic care,advanced surgical, medical, dental and emergency services. We are fully equipped with In-house Diagnostics, X-ray, Laser Therapy and Endoscopy services. We would love to meet you and your pet, contact us today so that we can start building a relationship with your family (905)735-7877 or visit us online at www.mainwestvet.com